Level 181 is one of the toughest levels in the entire Candy Crush game, and many players get stuck here.
But educator Clay Landon, 50, has managed to beat this tough Level 181 – without the use of any boosters. According to Clay, he “spent an ungodly amount of time at Level 181” and “has plenty to say” about it.
As this player explained, “I honestly could have written a five-act play about it!”
So I spoke to this avid Candy Crush player and got some tips from him on solving this insanely hard level. Read on, to find out what this fan said.
Roughly how long did you take to beat Level 181?
I’m a teacher so during the Christmas break, I played a load of Candy Crush (which should be called Candy Crack because it’s so addictive). Level 181 was reached in early December and after many hours and many tries, I completed it after the New Year.
Why do you think this level is particularly difficult?
The player doesn’t have any control of the candies and meringue on the sides, which is exceedingly frustrating. Each of the meringue has to be hit three or four times and this can only be done by striped candies, or a combination of striped and wrapped candies (the striped candies are necessary) aimed at a particular row of the meringue. Imagine having a striped candy aimed at a meringue and you decide to crush a candy somewhere else—a harmless urge you’ve given into thousands of times. A sudden chain reaction of candies sends your striped candy off the row you need or, even worse, the candy explodes away from the level you need. That, ladies and gentlemen, is a level of frustration beyond measure.
How did you eventually manage to beat Level 181?
First and foremost, I stopped trying to make colour bombs (pardon the shouting but this is crucial). I can’t tell you how many hours I spent on creating colour bomb combos with striped candies thinking I would be attacking numerous meringue blocks at once, only to realize to my horror (and horror it was) that at most, two or three blocks would be hit if I was lucky. I’m open to correction on this point but, really, my sanity was much improved after I gave up on creating colour bombs. Instead, I consciously tried to create striped/wrapped combos. These are, in my opinion, the key to beating this level. You’ll need at least three of these combos to beat the level. If you can’t get a wrapped/striped combo, shoot the striped candies at the meringue wall – at your earliest opportunity.
What are some specific tips that you can give to someone who is stuck at this level?
Vertical striped candies are not entirely useless, as long as you can combine them with a wrapped candy. Try to keep the vertical striped candies on the board until you can combine it with a wrapped one. But don’t blow the special candy up to just clear space unless you have no other alternative. Again, you need the striped/wrapped combos to beat this level and a vertical striped candy can help you.
From your own experiences, can you share your strategy on how to beat Level 181?
It’s having an awareness of how this level works, that will help you. The following points may be useful.
- Your first priority is the creation of striped/wrapped combos, the best attack against the meringue wall. You want to avoid crushing candies unless they lead to an eventual striped and/or wrapped candy.
- If you can’t create a wrapped candy to go with a horizontal striped candy, fire the horizontal candy if you can. In addition to at least three (maybe as little as two) striped/wrapped combos, you’re going to need some horizontal striped candies to fire into that wall.
- Avoid the urge to create a colour bomb. My own opinion is that my favourite creation in the game is useless at this level but others may disagree.
- As you destroy blocks, you need to be aware of positioning. You should ask yourself, where is the next block? Where do I need my next horizontal striped candy? These two questions should dictate your play (in addition to your main goal of creating striped/wrapped combos).
- Be patient! Three times I got down to the last block with one more hit needed but missed. In the previous week prior to passing the level, I had a gut feeling that I was going to beat this level though – and passing Level 181 followed soon after. Good luck and happy crushing – this level isn’t easy!
More Tips to Beat Candy Crush Level 181
Click here for tips on Level 181 from Jasmine Jay, who’s completed the entire Candy Crush game.
If you are still stuck on Level 181 of Candy Crush Saga, you can get some more tips on this level here.
Click Here for More On Candy Crush Saga