Haze Contingency Plans for the Great Eastern Women’s Run 2015

The Great Eastern Women’s Run takes place this Sunday, 1 November, with the 21.1km category planned to flag off at 5.30am in the morning.

What are the haze contingency plans for GEWR 2015, which takes place on Sunday? Photo by Great Eastern Women's Run 2015.

What are the haze contingency plans for GEWR 2015, which takes place on Sunday?
Photo by Great Eastern Women’s Run 2015.

And the organiser has come up with some contingency plans, in case the PSI levels are high on the morning of the race. These are as follows:

Race will proceed if the PSI is under 100

If the PSI is 100 and below, the race will take place as originally planned.

Race cancelled if PSI exceeds 100

But if the haze exceeds the PSI level of 100, the run will be cancelled. This is because according to the National Environmental Agency, it is not safe to take part in prolonged strenuous outdoor exercise under such unhealthy air conditions.

Carnival and festivities to proceed as long as the PSI is under 200

The race carnival and festivities though, will still proceed as long as the PSI level is below 200.

In the unfortunate situation that the run is cancelled, runners will be notified of the alternative collection arrangements for their finisher’s entitlements at a later date, from the Great Eastern Centre at 1 Pickering Street.

Said Colin Chan, Chief Marketing Officer of Great Eastern Life, “We understand that the participants are looking forward to the event and on our part, preparations have been ongoing for more than a year. However we place the health of our runners, working crew and volunteers as utmost priority – so we will only proceed with the race under acceptable conditions. We seek everyone’s understanding on this and I encourage all participants to look out for our updates.”

Organisers will make a final decision by 2.30am on Sunday morning

The organisers will take the 8.00pm PSI reading on Saturday, 31 October 2015 and update runners on the status of the race by 8.30pm on the same day – via SMS.

However, if the haze situation changes drastically between Saturday evening and Sunday morning, then the organisers will make a final decision by 2.30am on Sunday morning. This will be based on the 2.00am PSI reading.

web counter
web counter

Share this page with your friends!

Leave a Comment