Last Sunday’s Race Against Cancer (RAC) event – one of the longest standing and largest charity runs in Singapore – raised $1 million for cancer patients and their families for the Singapore Cancer Society.
Said Ang Peng Tiam, Chairman of the Singtel – Singapore Cancer Society (SCS) RAC, “SCS has been working towards minimising the effects of cancer and maximising the lives of Singaporeans for the past 52 years. Every life matters so we strive to do our best to support those affected by cancer but we can’t do it alone though. It is heartening to see so many people stepping up to help those impacted by cancer.”
Nobody will walk alone in the fight against cancer
He added, “This is evidenced by the overwhelming number who run this race each year, those who have tirelessly raised funds and volunteers who have helped put the event together. I thank everyone for their efforts in helping SCS with our cause. As long as we continue to work together, nobody will walk alone in the fight against cancer.”
Singtel, title sponsor of the RAC and a huge advocate of the cancer cause, has had more than 3,000 staff joining the RAC event over the years. Said Yuen Kuan Moon, Chairman of the Singtel Touching Lives fund and CEO Consumer at Singtel, “We wish to play our part in raising awareness and helping people and families impacted by cancer. And we hope to continue to show our solidarity and unwavering support for this meaningful cause.”
Senior executives also showed their support
For this year’s race, 12 senior executives also showed their support by not only taking part in the race, but also setting up fundraising pages and collected a total of SGD 25,500 donations for the cause.
These individuals are as follows:
- Brian Henry: Executive Director, Research Science (Pharmacology), MSD Translational Medicine Research Centre (TMRC), MSD Pharma (Singapore) Pte Ltd
- Chang Siow Foong: R&D Site Manager for the Aquatic Animal Disease Research Facility, MSD Animal Health Innovation Pte Ltd
- Chong Shing Ann: Director, SocialNinja.SG
- David Scott: Executive Director, Finance at MSD Pharma (Singapore) Pte Ltd
- Gordon Cameron: Area Vice President, Asia Pacific, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company
- Jack Tuen: Vice President, Global Operations, AB Sciex Distribution
- John Smith: Associate Vice President, Merck Manufacturing Division Singapore, MSD Pharma (Singapore) Pte Ltd
- Kenrick Law: CEO of Allianz SE Reinsurance Branch Asia Pacific
- Leonard Ong: Director, Human Resource, Singapore & Asia Pacific MMD, MSD Pharma (Singapore) Pte Ltd
- Ravi Singh: Vice President, ICT Solutions Business, Regional, ICT Solutions Business Hitachi Asia Ltd
- Samba Natarajan: CEO Group Digital Life, Singtel
- Siow Foong Chang: Director of Merck Animal Health
32 corporate teams and 39 corporate sponsors also sent contingents to take part in the three running categories of the RAC – the 5km, 10km and 15km races.
Where the funds are headed
The funds will be used to spearhead SCS programmes and services and will help individuals and families who have been impacted by cancer. These include the Cancer Care Fund, Cancer Support, Cancer Rehabilitation Centre, Help the Children and Youth, SCS Cancer Treatment Fund and the SCS Welfare Aid.
SCS also promotes cancer awareness and prevention through public education and community outreach programmes as well as cancer screenings at no charge. Last year these programmes reached out to 1,944 cancer patients from needy families and screened more than 94,000 people for various types of cancer.