Come Saturday, 6th May, the formidable Kylo Ren – the leader of the mysterious Knights of Ren – will be descending and together with his loyal troops, unleash the full extent of his powers on Singapore’s Marina Bay.
Meanwhile, Chewbacca and Princess Leia have been taken prisoner by the First Order. There has been no news from Rey since she met Luke Skywalker to give his lightsaber back to him. Who will save the Galaxy now?
Oh, don’t worry, guys. The Galaxy isn’t at war. And Singapore isn’t about to become the new target of the First Order’s next Death Star weapon.
No, instead, the Marina Bay area will be the venue for Singapore’s first-ever Star Wars Run.
Three-day “May the 4th” Star Wars celebrations
This run is the climax to the “May the 4th” three-day long Star Wars celebrations.
“May the 4th”, otherwise known as Star Wars Day, is a pun on “May the Force be with you,” a common catchphrase used in the Star Wars universe.
And as part of the three day festival highlights, the SuperTree Grove will be transformed with distinctive ambience, themed activities, character appearances and a never-before immersive experience that transports you to a Galaxy Far, Far Away.
This will be the first Star Wars extravaganza of its kind, to be taking place in Singapore and besides the run, some of the other event highlights include:
Multi Sensory Star Wars Light and Music Showcase
- When dusk falls, the Marina Bay skyline will be illuminated with the SaberTrees light-up where the futuristic SuperTrees will be transformed to glow in resemblance of lightsabers, the weapon of choice of both the Jedi and the Sith.
- As well, you can catch the Garden Rhapsody: Star Wars Edition – this will feature a 15-minute music and light composition, and will be set against the epic Star Wars soundtrack. It will be taking place over the three festival nights only.
- There will also be a silent Star Wars Disco on May 5 and 6, from 9pm – 11pm.
Star Wars Character Appearances
- Chewbacca, one of the heroes of the rebellion, together with Kylo Ren, the dark warrior from the First Order, will be in town.
- Photo opportunities with these two characters are available and this will be their first-ever official appearance in South East Asia.
- Members from Star Wars costume fan clubs, the 501st Legion and the Rebel Legion, will also be present, as they celebrate the villains and heroes of the Star Wars saga.
Star Wars AT-ST Walker
- The all-Terrain Scout Transport (AT-ST), first introduced in Star Wars: the Empire Strikes Back, will be standing guard at the SuperTree Grove and will be a mainstay on-ground throughout the festival.
- This will be your chance to get up close and personal with the towering replica. For a closer look, go up on the OCBC Skyway for an aerial perspective of the two-legged armoured walker against the backdrop of the beautiful Marina Bay skyline.
Star Wars Run takes place in the evening on 6 May
In a fitting climax to the Star Wars extravaganza, the Star Wars Run will be taking place in the evening of May 6th.
The run also marks the 40th anniversary since the release of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope and the night run through The Meadow at Gardens by the Bay will captive both amateur and professional runners as well as Star Wars fans, with fun experiences, themed around the brand’s memorable stories and out-of-this-world characters.
It comprises of a 10km Competitive Run flagging off at 7pm, as well as a 4.5km un-timed Fun Run that flags off at 8pm.
Two thematic rounds – Light Side and Dark Side
Runners taking part in the 4.5km Fun Run category will have a choice of two thematic routes – to either join Chewbacca and Princess Leia to follow the path to the Light Side to save the Galaxy, or else to uncover the secrets and powers hidden within the Dark Side of the Galaxy with Kylo Ren – and rule the Galaxy forever.
No matter which path you choose, the thematic routes will contain many surprises along the way and this promises an intergalactic adventure through four decades of Star Wars legacy.
With engagement zones along both the Dark and Light side routes, a visual spectacle awaits runners as each zone comes alive with light projections, music and photo opportunities filled with Star Wars themed surprises.
The 10km route, on the other hand, passes through a section of the 4.5km Dark Side route.
A kaleidoscope of colours will light up the night sky as pyrotechnics go off at flag-off for both the 4.5km Dark and Light Side runs, as well as the 10km Competitive Run.
But to help you make a decision, the Light Side and the Dark Side come with a completely different set of Star Wars memorabilia. For example, runners who choose the Light Side will receive a Yoda plush toy and those who pick the Dark Side will get a Darth Vader plush instead.
All runners however, will get a Star Wars themed tee shirt, towel, plush toy and a limited edition medal unique to their category. All of the items will be packed in a unique Star Wars themed drawstring bag.
Race Pack Collection
Race pack collection takes place from 21 – 23 April at City Square Mall, from 11am – 7pm daily.
At an extra cost of $25, participants can also purchase a Star Wars Electronic Lightsaber by Hasbro when they register for the race. And this can be collected with the race packs. This would be good for participants who need a lightsaber to complete their race-day costumes.
What to expect on Race Day
On race day itself, Chewbacca and Kylo Ren will be flagging off the run and runners will show their race bibs to gain access to the exclusive meet-and-greet zones at The Meadow, Gardens by the Bay, for an exclusive photo opportunity with Chewbacca and Kylo Ren.
After the run, there will also be plenty of Star Wars themed activities at the race village for runners to enjoy, and participants will also be able to catch Star Wars: The Force Awakens, under the stars.
Slots are selling quickly
The evening is set to be a Star Wars extravaganza like none other. To be part of the fun and action, register for the race at www.starwarsrun.sg.
But do hurry though; Registration closes on 14 April and slots are selling quickly. Race Slots are priced from $80, for the 4.5km Fun Run.
So, what are you waiting for? Regardless of which path you choose to follow, may the force be with you.