The Official Launch of the Standard Chartered KL Marathon (SCKLM) took place yesterday to plenty of fanfare – because the race organisers had announced 10 new and exciting features in celebration of their tenth anniversary.
New Features for SCKLM Tenth Anniversary
Said Rainer Biemans, Director of Dirigo Events and the Project Director of SCKLM, “We are very fortunate to have been able to cultivate a loyal following of runners over the years, with a number of participants who have signed up for all 10 of our races.”
“We would like to express our heartfelt appreciation to the running community for their support and to celebrate our 10th anniversary, we will be regularly engaging them over our social media channels to give away a lot of goodies.”
These features are:
- Introduction of participant history – Runners will have the chance to check their participant history through the SCKLM website; this will help them to see how they have progressed through the years.
- Timing Chips for Kids Dash – To determine their finishing times, as well as to allow their friends and family to track them through the SCKLM app, Kids Dash runners will get timing chips
- Standalone Kids Dash – The Kids Dash will be held on 7 April, one day earlier, to allow parents to support their children and also take part in their own runs the next day.
- SCKLM Juggernauts – Runners who have successfully registered for all 10 editions of SCKLM are now part of the ‘SCKLM Juggernauts’ and they will receive personalised running tee shirts and customised bib numbers
- VIP Package – VIP runners will be entitled to priority race pack collection, access to the VIP area and a breakfast buffet, as well as VIP baggage drop, and a Brooks polo tee and track pants
- Motivational Signs – When they register for SCKLM, runners can submit a motivational message and the best 20 quotes will be displayed on signs along the Full Marathon route together with the names of the respective runners.
- The option to pick running tees or singlets
- Commemorative Finisher Medals – SCKLM medals will feature the unique KL skyline in a swivel design
- A new feature in the App – The SCKLM App will consist of a new photo feature that will capture runners’ memorable running moments
- New Routes – For the Full and Half Marathons, there will be a new route that will navigate around more of KL’s iconic landmarks
Run For A Reason
Over the past nine years, the RFAR (Run For A Reason) initiative has been an integral part of SCKLM and for this year, the charity beneficiaries are Seeing Is Believing. This is Standard Chartered Bank’s initiative to improve access to eye-care across their markets – the National Cancer Society, Hospis Malaysia and Dignity For Children Foundation.
Since its inception at the SCKLM, the RFAR programme has benefitted and improved the lives of thousands of Malaysians over the last nine years.
SCKLM has also benefited from the support of its loyal sponsors, primarily Standard Chartered Bank Malaysia, which has been behind the marathon since its inception ten years ago.
Said Abrar A. Anwar, Managing Director and CEO of Standard Chartered Bank Malaysia, “We are proud once again to be the title sponsors of SCKLM and in the tenth year of our association, it is indeed gratifying to see the event become the premiere running event in Malaysia once again, one that is eagerly awaited by the running community here.”
Other sponsors who have also returned to SCKLM are Brooks, Seiko, Lucozade and Pacific Regency.
SCKLM Individual Categories have been sold out… less than 12 hours after opening
Public registrations for SCKLM commenced yesterday at 10am… and within less than 12 hours after opening, all of 20,000 slots for the event’s individual categories (5km, 10km, Half and Full Marathon and the Kids Dash) have now been fully sold out.
By 4pm yesterday, registrations for the Kids Dash, Full and Half Marathons were full. A further 1,000 slots were then released for both the Full and Half Marathon categories and by 6.45pm, the Half Marathon and 5km categories were closed. At 9pm, the Full Marathon category of the 10th Anniversary of SCKLM closed with 10,000 registrations. All other individual categories were also closed.
This was after an exclusive reservation and registrations period for SCKLM 2017 runners which saw over 16,000 pre-registration slots taken up.
Said Rainer, “Although the SCKLM has been selling out the last few years, we have been taken by surprise by the speed in which this year’s slots have been snapped up. We thank each and every one of you for your tremendous support and will now focus on delivering the best possible race experience. See you all at the start line.”
How can you still take part in SCKLM?
But runners who still wish to take part in the SCKLM can participate under the RFAR charity programme. All of the race categories under this programme are still available.
Those who take part under RFAR have to donate RM 150 to the charity of their choice to get a PIN code for online registration. They must also set up a personalised fundraising profile page on the SCKLM website and are required to raise a minimum amount of RM 500.
As well, the Corporate Challenge, Ministries Challenge and Universities Challenge also have 10km slots available. So runners who qualify under these categories, can still take part in the 10km event.
For more information
For more information and updates on SCKLM, the event website is at https://www.kl-marathon.com.
All images/videos on this article are courtesy of SCKLM.