Asia Pacific’s 16 gelato flavours which will be fighting it out for the “World’s Best Gelato” title have just been announced. They will be doing battle against each other at the Gelato World Tour 2.0, which will start in Singapore on March 20.
These flavours were picked by the Selection Jury presided by Pang Kok Keong, Chef and Founder of the Sugar Daddy group, Yeoh Wee Teck, columnist with The New Paper and renowned Luciana Polliotti, a journalist and curator at the Gelato Museum in Carpigiani.
First international travelling competition in search of the world’s best gelato flavours
The first international travelling competition to look for the world’s best gelato flavours, the second edition of the Gelato World Tour is directed by the prestigious Carpigiani Gelato University and Sigep, the most important exhibition for the production of artisan gelato, pastry confectionary and bakery products in Rimini, Italy. It aims to spread the culture of Italian gelato – a fresh and healthy artisan food product – throughout the world.
An event of a lifetime for visitors at the Marina Bay Sands
From 20 to 22 March, this extraordinary event, dubbed the “Formula One of Gelato” will take place at Marina Bay Sands – to celebrate Singapore’s 50 years of independence in the coolest way imaginable. At the event, visitors will be completely amazed by the fresh and delicious flavours created and presented by new and seasoned gelato artisans from the Asia Pacific region.
Some highlights of the event, which will be at Exhibition Hall D of Marina Bay Sands, will include mini courses for adults and children. These will be taken by the gelato chefs of Carpigiani Gelato University on “What Is Gelato”. Participants can also be the first to hear more about a four-week programme that teaches them about how to become successful gelato entrepreneurs.
Visitors to the exhibition will also have the opportunity to vote for their favourite gelato flavour from the top 16 finalists with a Gelato Ticket, which is purchasable from the INFO POINT located at the Gelato World Tour village. Each ticket costs SGD12 for eight tasting portions, served in 40 gram cones each. Participants can stand to win attractive prizes, and their votes will play a part in determining the top three flavours to represent the Asia Pacific at the Grand Finale of the World Gelato Tour 2.0, to be held in Rimini, Italy, in 2017.
Gelato Flavours that will be competing for the title
The 16 flavours that will be competing for the title are:
1) Kochi Popz by Chronos Chan & Eunice Soon of Tom’s Palette, Singapore
2) Caramel and Almond Crunch by Vanjimuthu Palaniswamy & Kavithamani Vanjimuthu of Boomerang, Coimbatore, India
3) Coffee and Nuts with Sesame Brittle by Angsna Dhippayom of I – Kitchen Restaurant, Had Yai, Thailand
4) Mango Ube Symphony by Zarah Zaragoza-Manikan of Bono Artisanal Gelato, Makati City, Manila, Philippines
5) Roasted Walnut and Honey Crunch by David Lamprell, Michael & Brian O’Donnell of 48 Flavours, Adelaide, SA, Australia
6) Burnt Butter with toffee almond brittle by Robbie Hill of Yamba Icecreamery, Yamba, NSW, Australia
7) Chendol Merdeka by Marco Alfero of Alfero Artisan Gelato, Singapore
8) Loving Date by Stefano Cadorin of +39 Gelato Bar, Singapore
9) Singapore Sling by Charles Tan of FATCAT Ice Cream Bar, Singapore
10) Croccante alla Fragola by Mirko Stortini of Gelato Italia, Hanoi, Vietnam
11) Curcuma (or Temulawak) by Andre Soenjoto of de Boliva, Surabaya, Indonesia
12) Good ‘Ol Days by Sharon Tay of Momolato, Singapore
13) Beer with Ciambella by Harish Doneka of Pick Me Up Cafe, Singapore
14) Vanilla of the East by Keewin & Seow Han Ong of Cielo Dolci, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
15) Lemon Zest with Fig Marmalade & Dark Chocolate by Antonino Lo Iacono of Gelatony, Sydney, NSW, Australia
16) From the Cradle to the Grave by Steve & Chrissie Powell of Vostrogusto Gelato, Wellington, New Zealand
A Brand New Programme by the Carpigiani Gelato University
Besides the Gelato World Tour, the Carpigiani Gelato University will also also inaugurate a brand new Singapore programme, together with the At-Sunrice GlobalChef Academy and will have special open day sessions – for students to learn about the art of gelato-making. There are 40 places available and free admission is available on request. Contact email@example.com to register for this event.
“Gelato With A Heart” Dinner Event
As well, a “Gelato With A Heart” dinner will also be staged for the Singapore leg of the Gelato World Tour this year. At this event, gelato will be the main focus of the meal – from the appetiser to the dessert. The dishes will be created by well-known Chef Christopher Christie of Marina Bay Sands and Pastry Chef Pang Kok Keong, in collaboration with the local Italian instructor of the Carpigiani Gelato University. It will feature combinations of hot and cold, sweet and savoury dishes, and unique fusions of East and West masterpieces. Proceeds will be donated to beneficiaries of the Singapore President’s Challenge 2015. Only a few early bird seats are still available, so to book yours, call 6224 6788 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
To follow the stages of the Gelato World Tour, check out www.gelatoworldtour.com. To stay up to date in social media, check out their Facebook page – Gelato World Tour; Twitter account – @Gelato World Tour; Flickr – Gelato World Tour; Instagram – Gwt_2015; Hashtag: #gelatoworldtour.